Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Redesigning My Book Cover

My fantasy novel, Rogue Magician, was released about a month ago and for the first three weeks it did consistently well, but in the last week it took a big slump. Normally I would not be worried about a one week slump, but I really want this book to do well and am unwilling to just sit on my laurels and let it take care of itself.
So I decided to look at possible ways to improve my sales and as I have been interacting with other authors I have been learning a great deal through their nuggets of wisdom. One of the things that I took away was that a professional looking book cover is very important.
When I designed my first book cover I thought it would be fun to make the book cover the same as Sane’s (one of the book’s most powerful sorcerers) grimoire in sort of a meta way. The original was a direct interpretation of this grimoire. The original cover was very simplistic which I enjoy in book covers, because it reminds me of the old adage, “You can’t judge a book by its cover.”
However, there were some problems with the original cover. It may have been a little too simplistic. The title was in simple block letters and the stretching vines from the grimoire’s emblem ran through the title and my name. The text was in red, which is a complimentary color to green providing the best contrast, but it still could use some clarification.



Overall, I did enjoy my original cover and thought it stood out from most other books. So in the update I wanted to stay true to my original design and just tweak it somewhat. The first thing I did was remove the “root” lines and the emblem’s circle. The roots were too busy looking and tended to keep the eye from focusing on the main parts of the cover. The circle was just a little plain and I planned to replace it with a more intricate circle made to look like roots to keep the cover’s theme.
I updated the text with a cursive script. It seemed more old fashioned and fitting for a fantasy novel. I also changed the text from red to black since I planned to have the new root design go around the title and my name.
The new roots were made to look much more root-like and now framed the title and my name instead of doing their own thing. The circle was also redone in a variation of the larger roots and formed around the tree emblem.
After that I adjusted the color shades just a little and voila. The new design looks more professional, but still stands apart from most of the other fantasy covers that tend to have similar designs and themes. Hopefully, it stands out enough to generate enough interest to get people to download the preview and eventually the book itself.
SO what do you think? Did I make the right decision?

No comments:

Post a Comment